Pages

Saturday 11 May 2013

Angry Bird Birthday Cake

My poor Levi had his third birthday hijacked. His birthday party was supposed to have been a big huge bash, back at the end of March. Both a celebration of my sweet three year old and of the fact that our home is now diaper-free (woot woot). But... unfortunately a bad case of pink eye and strepthroat had our party plans flattened.
It was especially sad because this was the first birthday Levi was really looking forward to. He had been talking about his party and looking forward to his angry bird cake for weeks. It seriously broke my heart to call off the party. So, we only partially called off the party. We decided we shouldn't expose our friends and their little ones to our bugs, but our family had been exposed to us already that week, so we figured they could handle another day of exposure.
With all that in mind, you can imagine how the party turned out to be pretty low key. I just put out a few appetizers, no real decorations even made it up, but of course I couldn't pass up the cake decorating opportunity. I had baked 6 or 7 cakes prior to cancelling the party, so half of them ended up in the freezer and I put together a cake on a smaller scale than I was originally planning.



I had been doing Angry Bird "research" on-line for weeks in advance, looking up tips on how to make an Angry Bird out of fondant. I have to admit, I was supper happy about how these little guys turned out. These were the first fondant "sculptures" I had ever done, not so bad for a first!



 Umm, how adorable is my little guy and that coy smile!?!?!

The slingshot caused me the most angst. I couldn't get that stupid thing to stand-up on it's own. Oh well, no one noticed or cared either way. On the up side: I just love the wood grain look I accomplished for that slingshot and the blocks the piggies sat on.





All-in-all a big hit! Delicious banana cake with chocolate ganache hid beneath that Angry Bird exterior. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment