Pages

Friday 14 December 2012

40th Anniversary Cake

This was a little bit more than an anniversary cake, it was more like a wedding cake. Three tiers, two flavours, tons of awesomeness. Big enough to feed the 120 or so guests at the afternoon tea, and have leftovers that just won't quit! Mom and Dad chose the flavours, Dad wanted lemon, Mom asked for banana.
The bottom tier was the banana cake with a chocolate ganache filling and white chocolate buttercream icing, the top two layers were lemon cake with lemon curd filling and vanilla buttercream icing. And if I must say so myself, both flavours were amazing!!!!
In addition to the HUGE cake for the afternoon tea, I also made cupcakes for the dinner we had that same evening for family with 42 people attending. The cupcakes were red velvet with creamcheese icing, also quite yummy!
I began baking and freezing the cakes over a week in advance, making icings and fillings for the fridge. I had everything ready to go for cake construction the day before the event, and then, I got sick. And not just a little sick, where I could suck it up and get on with cake making. The kind of sick where I only had enough energy to lay in bed or on the couch, with the occasional trip to the bathroom to get sick. ( I know, lovely to think about when we are talking yummy food here)
I am a bit of a control freak when it comes to things like this, so it was really hard for me to give up some control, but it had to be done. My mother-in-law helped put together the bottom layer when she arrived, after a whole day of driving!! What a life saver. I managed to finish the two smaller layers the morning of the event.
No important cake is complete without some drama, you would think the sickness would be enough. But no, the real drama came when loading the completed cake into the car. Mikayla managed to put her new little black high heel shoe right into the bottom layer of the cake (luckily there was saran over it, so it was all cosmetic).
The large damage spot was mostly covered by the fresh roses we put onto the cake after it arrived to the church. Maybe no one noticed? Wishful thinking.
All in all, a successful cake despite the twists thrown at me!







No comments:

Post a Comment