Pages

Sunday 15 April 2012

Accidentally Somewhat-Healthy Banana Muffins

Apparently I'm turning into my mother, it's bound to happen, they say it's inevitable. It's not such a bad thing really, my mom is pretty great. She's always looking out for us, especially by trying to make sure we eat healthy, she's always doctoring her recipes to make things better for us.

Today, apparently, genetics took over in my kitchen. I was making banana muffins, and without my knowledge I made a relatively healthy and still very delicious version of the recipe I was following. Here's how it happened (accidentally). I had some whole wheat flour and bran in my pantry that needed to get used up, so I figured I could substitute just 1 of the 3 cups of white flour for whole wheat stuff and add a smidgen of bran. Then, I didn't have as many over-ripe bananas in my freezer as the original recipe called for so I added a bit of applesauce to make sure they were not too dry. Well it's a good thing I did that because I put the 2/3 cup of butter into the microwave to melt it and proceeded to leave it there, consequently never making it into the muffins. Of course if I were really trying to be as health conscious as my mom I would have substituted something for the large amount of white sugar, but hey, this healthy(ish) recipe was an accident.

As per usual I had my three lovely assistants in the kitchen, but for some reason the boys gave up on helping early on, so Mikayla and I were able to bake without the usual fighting over the stool or the mixing spoon.




Recipe
2 Cups All Purpose Flour
1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
3 Tbsp Bran
2 tsps Baking Soda
2 tsps Baking Powder
1 tsp Salt

4 over-ripe Bananas
2 1/2 under-ripe Bananas
2 Eggs
3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 Cup Sugar
1 Cup Cut up Chocolate Easter Eggs (or chocolate chips)

Steps to Deliciousness
Combine the dry ingredients in one bowl
Blend together over-ripe bananas, eggs, applesauce and sugar in a separate bowl
Dice up the under-ripe bananas into small cubes (I always do this for banana muffins because I love having little bits of actual banana in the muffin, and I think it helps keep the muffin moist. I could be out to lunch, but that's just the way I do it)
Cut up little chocolate Easter eggs into small bits (of course you can use chocolate chips, but at this time of year there's always too many Easter eggs around)
Mix under-ripe bananas and chocolate into the wet ingredients with a spoon
Mix together dry ingredients and wet ingredients
Put into muffin tins (we just happened to have some cute star-shaped muffin tins to use)
Bake at 375F for 18-20 minutes
Enojy!




1 comment: